downthetubes is undergoing some main site refurbishment...

This blog is no longer being updated

The downthetubes news blog was assimilated into our main site back in 2013.

Hop over to www.downthetubes.net for other British comics news, comic creating guides, interviews and much more!

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Happy Birthday, 2000AD! From script droid Alan Grant

Name: Alan Grant

Blog or web site: 


Check out www.2000adonline.com for Alan's numerous 2000AD credits

Currently working on: 


I've just finished Part 5 of the new 6-part Cadet Anderson series, Algol; hopefully, the villain of the piece will re-emerge from the cubes 35 years later, to tie into current Anderson timelines as a major character.

Once that's done, I'll be thinking about a new Durham Red series, with original artist and co-creator Carlos Ezquerra.

First memory of 2000AD?    

John Wagner arriving at my house in Dundee, wanting to consult my collection of US Marvel/DC comics to make sure his new stories didn't use already-established ideas. John was working full-time on the new material for 2000AD, and asked me if I'd like to take over his commitment to writing Tarzan stories for European publication. So, although I didn't start work on 2000AD for another 18 months, 2000AD was actually the catalyst that got me my first break in comics.

Favourite Character or Story?

Much though I like Judge Dredd, I have to say my co-favourite characters are Strontium Dog and Psi-Judge Anderson. Favourite stories that I wrote or co-wrote were Anderson in Satan (art by Arthur Ranson) and Strontium Dog in Rage (art by Ezquerra).

My favourite Dredd story has to be America, by Wagner and Colin MacNeil. And there's an honourable mention for Alan Moore's DR and Quinch series.

What do you like most about the 2000AD?     

Its in-your-face, don't-give-a-shit attitude, which I'm very happy to see continued in stories by Al Ewing and Si Spurrier, amongst others.

What would you most like to see in 2000AD as it heads to its Forties?     

I'd like to see a story set in the near future employing the very real trials and tribulations of the current political/economic scene. While these matters are often projected into the future via Dredd stories, I think they can lose some of their immediacy in the process.

If you worked on 2000AD, do you have an anecdote you'd like to share about your experience of Tharg and his minions?     

Most of the ones I recall are too embarrassing to commit to print, involving large quantities of alcohol and a very liberal attitude to personal health and safety!

• This post is the first in a series of birthday tributes from a wide range of comic creators celebrating 2000AD's birthday on 26th February 2012. For more about 2000AD, visit www.2000adonline.com

Judge Anderson © Rebelllion

No comments:

Latest News on downthetubes.net

Contact downthetubes

• Got a British Comics News Story? E-mail downthetubes!

• Publishers: please contact for information on where to post review copies and other materials: editor@downthetubes.net

Click here to subscribe to our RSS NewsFeed

Powered by  FeedBurner